Robert K. Scott
Robert K. Scott is a partner specializing in all aspects of first party insurance “bad faith” litigation in the Newport Beach office of Newmeyer & Dillion. Bob has practiced law in California for over 35 years. While maintaining the highest standards of professional ethics, he has obtained multi-million dollar judgments, favorable appellate decisions and arbitration awards, as well as substantial out-of-court settlements on behalf of his clients. Bob has represented developers, hospitals, performers, athletes, doctors, business executives and other individuals with an array of complex coverage issues.
Bob initially practiced labor law but after joining the pioneer of insurance “bad faith,” Attorney William M. Shernoff in 1983, he focused exclusively on suing insurance companies on behalf of consumers and businesses in California.
Bob is a frequently invited lecturer and speaks nationwide on insurance related topics. He is a frequent author and consultant on insurance related legal matters. He is co-author, with colleague and former California Trial Lawyers Association President, Douglas K. deVries, of “Establishing Insurance Bad Faith” in the Insurance Settlement Handbook, published by James Publishing Company.
Honors and Awards
• Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, 2006-2016
• AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, (over 25 years)
• California Western School of Law, J.D., LLD (Honora Causa)
• United States International University, B.A.
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• Vice Chairman and Board Member for California Western School of Law (over 25 years)
• Former Chairman and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of Irvine Regional Hospital and Medical Center and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Irvine Cancer Center (20 years)
• Member and the former Chairman of the Committee on Group Insurance Programs of the State Bar of California (over 30 years)
• Serves as a member of and as a Special Prosecutor for the California State Bar and as a Special Master for the California State Bar