Francis E. Quinlan
Frank Quinlan has broad experience in leadership of large organizations stemming from his duty as a U.S. Marine Corps commander, as current chairman of several public and private corporation board audit, compliance and nomination committees, as founding member of an investment committee with sizeable assets under management, and as former general counsel of a national not-for-profit foundation. His board responsibilities include oversight of internal audits and the preparation of financial statements by international accounting firms; and development of business continuity plans. He co-founded the AV rated Newport Beach firm of Kester & Quinlan, LLP, and for over 20 years represented banks, venture capital firms, mortgage, title and general liability insurers, public and private corporations, receivers and individuals in business.
General Quinlan began his law career as a legal officer in a Marine Attack squadron, followed by a tour as an FBI Special Agent. He returned to the Marine Reserve after the FBI and served in command positions at the Squadron, Air Group, Air Wing, Marine Expeditionary Force and Joint Force levels. His most recent command assignment was Vice-Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific and Central Commands during Operation Enduring Freedom. During 2008-09, he was recalled to active duty as Special Investigator and Director of a national security assessment and investigative team during Operation Iraqi Freedom. His professional education includes coursework at numerous senior officer schools including Information Security and Operations at the Air War College and the National Security Program for US and Russian General Officers at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
General Quinlan’s recent cases include:
• Represented 6 partnerships with over $50 million in assets frozen in federal SEC receivership. Litigated successful release of all assets.
• Resolved California Franchise Tax Board audit challenges to $17 million in tax basis contribution to “No change letter.”
• Resolved probate dispute over Trust claim in $40 million estate.
• Successfully negotiated distributions in Trust litigation over $30 million in commercial property.
• Negotiated quiet title claim to real property in several high value probate cases.
• Recovered over $60 million in partnership assets in national SEC fraud and receivership case.
• Resolved LLC partnership dispute in multi state and multi entity holding worth over $3 million.
Forensic Analysis, Business and Financial Services Counsel
Devoting a substantial part of his practice to critical internal investigations, institutional crisis management and corporate governance, General Quinlan regularly advises clients faced with complex financial fraud, securities fraud, due diligence and other transactional challenges involving investment, real estate, labor, lending and bank operations (including money laundering, embezzlement and Patriot Act issues), and personal business, tax and estate planning issues. He periodically consults in the defense of white-collar crime and unfair business practices claims and serves as an expert witness in corporation litigation.
In the rising arena of Cybercrime and IT Security, he conducts risk identification, management and business continuity analyses, advises on information technology security assessments and IT project cost containment, and counsels during governmental agency inquiries at state and federal levels
As an FBI Agent, General Quinlan was involved in substantial federal criminal investigations into white-collar crime, public corruption, bank and insurance fraud, organized crime, labor, tax, and extortion of business. He also served as an FBI pilot and completed the FBI Special Agents’ Course in Investigative (forensic) Accounting.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
• Boston University, LL.M. (Taxation)
• Southwestern University, J.D.
• University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.A.
• California, 1978
• Colorado, 1993
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• U.S. Court of Claims
• Irvine Holding Company, LLC Board of Directors and Audit Committee Chairman
• Encore Capital Group, Inc. (NASDAQ) Board of Directors and Audit Committee Chairman
• California State Compensation Insurance Fund, Board of Directors, former Audit Committee Chairman and Investment Committee Member
• Independent Trust Company of America and Santa Fe Trust, Inc., Member of both company Boards and Chairman of Audit Committee
• Marine Corps University Foundation, Inc. Board of Trustees, former General Counsel and Audit Committee Chairman
• Society of Former Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
• Chairman, the Advisory Committee of the Center for the Study of Unconventional Security Affairs
• The Dean’s Advisory Board of Visitors, The Law School of the University of California, Irvine
• The Pacific Council on Foreign Relations
• Federal Aviation Administration Commercial Pilot (multi-engine and instrument rated)
• Security Clearance – Eligible TS/SCI